A few artists are set to make a splash in 2009. Hopefully, we’ll all get wet soon! Here’s a few releases I’m already looking forward to, and I am not even sure when they come out.
1. Wilco. Word is that the band is set to release a new one sometime this spring, hopefully without so much of the Van Morrison leanings of their last one. Actually, I’d love to see something a lot grittier and not so pleasant. Even cooler? How about a reunion with Jay Farrar, maybe for just one song.
2. Switchfoot. I am really interested to see what Jon Foreman is going to do on the new Switchfoot, due late winter. He has become quite eclectic with his solo releases and work with Family Fiction. Somehow, I think it might end up being more of the same, though.
3. Gillian Welch. It has been a long hiatus between recordings, but her first solo disc was a masterwork. I have seen her live at least three times, and she’s mesmerizing.
4. Faunts. I have the new one in already, it’s called Feel.Love.Thinking.Of and it’s amazing. Sort of retro techno, but pretty light and airy.
5. U2. Obviously a major release, but the rumors are that about half the record will be much more experimental. There’s also one *really fast song, which is not usually their thing. Bono has been listening to a lot of Kraftwerk lately, and he is sporting a punkish buzzcut these days.
6. New Pornographers. I guess AC Newman is back at it in the studio, and it seems he is on a cycle now of solo then full band. No word on any new themes or direction for this one.
More later this week…