Who Is This Little Girl Found In a Gypsy Camp?
The world's attention has been caught by the mystery of a young blonde girl who was discovered in a Roma camp. The girl was discovered by police who doubted the story the people who said they were her parents gave them on account of her pale skin. A DNA test confirmed that the "parents"—Christos Salis and Eleftheria Dimopoulou—were not actually related to her. But who she is remains an enigma.
Known only as "Maria" and believed to be between 4 and 6 years old, police in Greece have been soliciting help from all over the world to try and find who she is, how she came to live in Europe and, most importantly, where she belongs. Salis and Dimopoulou are now saying that a destitute mother gave Maria to them, but police aren't so sure. Several outlets are reporting that the girl might belong to a Bulgarian couple in the area, but police have also received several leads in America.
The case has European gypsies—already a much maligned group—worried about potential backlash. They're often pegged as children stealers, and have spent a good deal of time trying to refute the stereotype ...
Recommended For YouView More in Current
- > People Claim to Have Seen a Mysterious Movie That Never Existed
- > ‘To Worship You I Live’ Brought the House Down on ‘The Voice’ Last Night
- > Philadelphia Eagles Player Has Baptized 5 of His Teammates
- > 11 Resolutions Everyone Should Consider Making Next Year
- > Oh No. Beard Christmas Lights Are Now a Thing
- > The New Presidential Cabinet Won't Include a Latino for the First Time in 30 Years
- > Last Year Was the Hottest Year on Record ... for the Third Year in a Row
- > Donald Trump Will Be Sworn in Using Abraham Lincoln's Bible (and His Own)
- > Two of the Country's Most Prominent Divinity Schools Instruct Their Faculty to Use Gender-Neutral Pronouns for God
- > ‘This Is Us’ Is Coming Back for at Least 2 More Seasons