When You Stare Into the Meme, the Meme Stares Back Into You
All memes, of course, are self-parodies. Each meme is just a reference to its own meme-ness, and sort of a self-defeating dare to see just how far it can be stretched before the meme loses what made it interesting and unique in the first place. Take the American Music Award's performance of uber-meme Gangam Style, with MC Hammer. Can it really be a hip meme if it's on prime time with MC Hammer? Or take this picture of President Barack Obama posing with U.S. Olympian McKayla Maroney, who became a meme this summer for her infamously unimpressed scowl. This is the fate of all memes. They're destined for the Internet void ...
Recommended For You
- > Jason Sudeikis, Maya Rudolph, Bill Hader and Tony Hale Will Star in the ‘Angry Birds’ Movie
- > So There’s Going to Be a ‘Tetris’ Movie for Some Reason
- > Christine Caine Is Working on a New Program for Women Leaders
- > Report: Wildlife Populations Have Declined More Than 50% in 40 Years
- > The Latest ‘Interstellar’ Trailer Looks Amazing