When You Stare Into the Meme, the Meme Stares Back Into You
All memes, of course, are self-parodies. Each meme is just a reference to its own meme-ness, and sort of a self-defeating dare to see just how far it can be stretched before the meme loses what made it interesting and unique in the first place. Take the American Music Award's performance of uber-meme Gangam Style, with MC Hammer. Can it really be a hip meme if it's on prime time with MC Hammer? Or take this picture of President Barack Obama posing with U.S. Olympian McKayla Maroney, who became a meme this summer for her infamously unimpressed scowl. This is the fate of all memes. They're destined for the Internet void ...
Recommended For YouView More in Culture
- > Report Links Earthquakes in the U.S. With Oil Drilling Practices
- > Officials Just Evacuated the Statue of Liberty
- > Disturbing Video Shows Police Shooting Unarmed Black Man
- > Terrorist Network With Links to Bin Laden Busted in Italy
- > Philly Bakery Creates Tebow Pretzel to Welcome Him to the Eagles