Universal: "Today, EMI. Tomorrow, The World!"
European regulators have approved Universal's $1.9 billion takeover of EMI, creating one music label that now controls 40% of the music market. Sony and Warner Music Group are music's other two major labels, and between them and Universal's new powerhouse, they split 90% of all recorded music, with the other 10% being shuffled around on smaller labels. The merger had many people upset, complaining that Universal's power grab will lead to a loss of consumer choice and artist innovation. Although, in all likelihood, the takeover could lead to a lot more creativity in the ways people download music illegally ...
Recommended For YouView More in Culture
- > 7 Unbiblical Statements Christians Believe
- > Watch ‘Fixer Upper's Chip and Joanna Gaines' Powerful Testimony on ‘I Am Second’
- > 12 Fiction Books That Will Shape Your Theology
- > Hillsong NYC’s Carl Lentz: At This Church, We Are Not Saying 'All Lives Matter'
- > Watch Justin Bieber Play ‘I Could Sing of Your Love Forever’ on the Purpose Tour
- > A Previously Unfinished Love Story by JRR Tolkien Will Be Published Next Year
- > Lecrae on Racial Injustice: 'As I Shared My Heart, My Supporters Turned on Me'
- > Bob Dylan May Soon Release a ‘Bootleg’ Album of Christian Music
- > And Now, Here's James Corden Re-enacting Famous Tom Cruise Movie Scenes
- > Iraqi Officials: Retaking Mosul From ISIS Is Moving Fast