The Trillion-Dollar Coin That Could Save Us All
Yes. Paul Krugman, a Nobel-prize-winning economist, wrote an op-ed in today's New York Times that says President Obama should start seriously considering minting a platinum coin worth $1 trillion. The idea is that it would prevent a big to-do over raising the debt ceiling, as Democrats are saying the ceiling has to be raised but Republicans are saying it can't be. A trillion-dollar coin would sidestep the whole thing, although it's not an inviting prospect for the GOP (they introduced a bill to block it today). You can read a description of just how proponents think this coin would help right here, but be warned: It will make your head hurt. And besides, the important thing is, what sort of heist would have to be staged in order to get away with it, and how soon will Hollywood release that movie? ...
Recommended For YouView More in Life
- > The Real Abuse at the Heart of 'Fifty Shades of Grey'
- > Why Don’t the Guys in my Church Ask Women on Dates?
- > 'Christian Cleavage' Probably Isn't the Problem
- > Report: ISIS Just Kidnapped a Group of at Least 90 Christians, Including Children
- > Chris Pratt and Chris Evans Made Good on Their Super Bowl Bet
- > 'The Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt,' Your New Favorite Show, Is Here.
- > Ringling Bros. Circus Will Phase Out Elephants
- > Here's a New Salvation Army Ad Starring the Dress. (Yes, That Dress.)
- > U.S. Unemployment Rate Drops to 5.5%
- > ‘Toy Story 4’ Will Be a ‘Romantic Comedy’ Not a Continuation of the Trilogy