The Trillion-Dollar Coin That Could Save Us All
Yes. Paul Krugman, a Nobel-prize-winning economist, wrote an op-ed in today's New York Times that says President Obama should start seriously considering minting a platinum coin worth $1 trillion. The idea is that it would prevent a big to-do over raising the debt ceiling, as Democrats are saying the ceiling has to be raised but Republicans are saying it can't be. A trillion-dollar coin would sidestep the whole thing, although it's not an inviting prospect for the GOP (they introduced a bill to block it today). You can read a description of just how proponents think this coin would help right here, but be warned: It will make your head hurt. And besides, the important thing is, what sort of heist would have to be staged in order to get away with it, and how soon will Hollywood release that movie? ...
Recommended For You
- > Being a Christian Doesn’t Always Look Like You Think It Should
- > ISIS' New Enemy: A Terrifying Dutch Biker Gang
- > An Artist Is Inserting Mr. Bean into Famous Paintings For Some Reason
- > 15 Things to Start Doing By the Time You’re 30
- > Shia LaBeouf On Becoming a Christian: 'It's a Real Thing That Really Saved Me.'
- > Officer Darren Wilson May Soon Resign from Ferguson Police Department
- > Chris Traeger and Ann Perkins Are Returning to ‘Parks and Rec’
- > President Obama Announces Immigration Reform Plan
- > The One Campaign’s New Ebola PSA Features a Lot of Celebrities Saying Nothing
- > Well, What Do You Think About This Jesus Tattoo?