There Are Fewer Than 100 Prisoners Left at Guantanamo Bay
The Pentagon announced the transfer of 10 Yemeni prisoners from Guantanamo Bay to the Arabian nation of Oman, bringing the prisoner count at Gitmo down to 93. This is a conscious effort on the part of President Obama to fulfill his promise to close or vastly reduce the facility in his term as president.
White House Press Secretary Josh Earnest said, "We have made some progress in reducing the population at the prison at Guantanamo Bay. But ultimately, to accomplish the goal of closing it, we're going to need Congress to remove some obstacles that have prevented it thus far." In his State of the Union address, Obama called on Congress again to close Guantanamo completely. He said, "It is expensive, it is unnecessary, and it only serves as a recruitment brochure for our enemies."
The Republican-led congress is less than thrilled with these recent transfers. House Foreign Affairs Committee Chairman Ed Royce said, “The administration’s mad rush to push detainees on allies and partners has to stop. Americans deserve to know who the administration will release next, where they are going, and what confidence the administration has they won’t return to terrorist activities.”
Defense Secretary Ashton B. Carter has notified Congress that he has approved 17 proposed transfers of lower-level detainees. In a recent statement, Carter said, "We will continue to transfer Guantanamo detainees to other countries when and as we have mitigated any security risk to the United States." According to Earnest, at present, 10 of the remaining 93 detainees are subject to criminal charges, 34 have been deemed safe for transfer and 49 are still eligible for transfer.
Recommended For You
- > 7 Unbiblical Statements Christians Believe
- > Watch ‘Fixer Upper's Chip and Joanna Gaines' Powerful Testimony on ‘I Am Second’
- > ‘To Worship You I Live’ Brought the House Down on ‘The Voice’ Last Night
- > World Series MVP Ben Zobrist: ‘We All Need Grace. We All Need Christ’
- > 12 Fiction Books That Will Shape Your Theology
- > Meet the 104-Year-Old Veteran Who’s Been Training for 3 Years to Go Back to Pearl Harbor
- > Here’s the Dark New International Trailer for ‘Rogue One’
- > Tim Tebow Will Play in Mets Spring Training Games
- > States With Mandatory Background Checks for Guns Don't Have As Many School Shootings
- > Donald Trump Named 'Person of the Year' By 'Time' Magazine