Syria's Prime Minister Defects
Riyad Hijab, the Syrian prime minister, has made what is easily the embattled nation's highest profile defection by switch sides to Jordan and the anti-Assad opposition. According to Reuters, Hijab—one of Syria's Sunni Muslims—has dealt Bashar al-Assad a heavy symbolic blow, although one that is unlikely to shake his grip on a nation whose civil war shows no signs of slowing. Hijab's statement read that, "I announce today my defection from the killing and terrorist regime and I announce that I have joined the ranks of the freedom and dignity revolution."
Recommended For YouView More in Current
- > Here's a Video of an Escaped Emu Running Around a Town in England
- > Poll: 6 in 10 Americans Approve of the Use of Drone Strikes
- > Report: Freddie Gray Sustained Injuries in Van; Death Ruled Homicide
- > Nigerian Military Rescue More Than 100 Women and Children from Boko Haram
- > Tesla Announces Creation of ‘Powerwall’ Consumer Battery