Syria's Prime Minister Defects
Riyad Hijab, the Syrian prime minister, has made what is easily the embattled nation's highest profile defection by switch sides to Jordan and the anti-Assad opposition. According to Reuters, Hijab—one of Syria's Sunni Muslims—has dealt Bashar al-Assad a heavy symbolic blow, although one that is unlikely to shake his grip on a nation whose civil war shows no signs of slowing. Hijab's statement read that, "I announce today my defection from the killing and terrorist regime and I announce that I have joined the ranks of the freedom and dignity revolution."
Recommended For You
- > You Too Can Have Miley Cyrus Design Your Next Tattoo
- > Trailer: Tim Burton's 'Big Eyes'
- > Hero Drummer Adds a Little Pizzazz to Hillsong United's 'Oceans'
- > Jimmy Fallon Is Making Up Good News Again, Because Sometimes You Just Need to Feel Happy
- > Major Sponsor Pulls Out of the NFL’s Breast Cancer Awareness Month Campaign