Syria's Prime Minister Defects
Riyad Hijab, the Syrian prime minister, has made what is easily the embattled nation's highest profile defection by switch sides to Jordan and the anti-Assad opposition. According to Reuters, Hijab—one of Syria's Sunni Muslims—has dealt Bashar al-Assad a heavy symbolic blow, although one that is unlikely to shake his grip on a nation whose civil war shows no signs of slowing. Hijab's statement read that, "I announce today my defection from the killing and terrorist regime and I announce that I have joined the ranks of the freedom and dignity revolution."
Recommended For YouView More in Current
- > 7 Unbiblical Statements Christians Believe
- > Watch ‘Fixer Upper's Chip and Joanna Gaines' Powerful Testimony on ‘I Am Second’
- > 12 Fiction Books That Will Shape Your Theology
- > Hillsong NYC’s Carl Lentz: At This Church, We Are Not Saying 'All Lives Matter'
- > Watch Justin Bieber Play ‘I Could Sing of Your Love Forever’ on the Purpose Tour
- > The Second Season of 'Jessica Jones' Will Only Have Women Directors
- > An American Missionary Was Kidnapped in Niger Earlier This Month
- > Adnan Syed Could Soon Be Freed on Bail
- > Mel Gibson Tells Joel Osteen that His ‘Passion’ Follow-up Will Be Surprising on a ‘Theological Level’
- > You Can Actually Tell When Your Friends Are Fake Laughing at Your Jokes, Because Science