Syria Has "Chosen Path of War," U.N. Pulls Out
The U.N. has ended its doomed monitoring mission in Syria, as deadlock persists among world powers over how to contain the spreading violence. Two weeks ago, former U.N. secretary-general Kofi Annan quit as mediator in frustration with the failure of a four-month-old truce that never materialized.
"It is clear that both sides have chosen the path of war, open conflict, and the space for political dialogue and cessation of hostilities and mediation is very, very reduced at this point," deputy U.N. peacekeeping chief Edmond Mulet said.
Recommended For YouView More in Current
- > San Francisco Deputies Forced Inmates to Fight 'Gladiator Style'
- > Here's Passion Pit's Very Strobe Light-y Video for 'Lifted Up'
- > Everything We Know About Germanwings Pilot, Andreas Lubitz
- > Man Hikes from Mexican Border to Canada Taking Selfies Every Mile
- > Here's the Trailer for 'Southpaw,' Starring a Super Jacked Jake Gyllenhaal