Study: America’s Poorest Are More Generous than the Country's Wealthiest
Despite frequent news headlines about the generosity of American billionaires, according to a new study, in the U.S., the poor are more generous than the rich. The Atlantic recently looked at one of the most “confounding, facts of charity in America”: People who can’t really afford to give, typically donate more than those who can afford to.
In recent years, the top 20% of America’s wealthiest donated 1.3% of their incomes to charity, while the bottom 20% gave 3.2% of theirs. When sociologists looked at what’s behind the numbers, they found a surprising reason: It’s not that the country’s poorest are more generous than the typical person, it’s that America’s rich are far less generous than most people …
Recommended For YouView More in Life
- > The Presidential Debate Will Be Streaming Tonight for All Cord Cutters
- > This Trailer for ‘The 13th’ Will Make You Rethink What You Know About Mass Incarceration
- > Martin Scorsese’s Missionary Film ‘Silence’ Will Release in December
- > Even the Guy In Charge of DC Movies Doesn’t Like Them
- > Tim Tebow On Colin Kaepernick's Protests: It's About Doing It 'the Right Way'