Satanists Want a Monument Next to the Ten Commandments at Oklahoma’s Statehouse
In the legal community, this is what they call “a backfire.” In 2009, a socially conservative Oklahoma legislator issued their approval for a monument of the Ten Commandments to be built at the Statehouse. Even though the ACLU filed a lawsuit to have it removed, and other legal groups said the sculpture was unconstitutional, the monument has remained. Now another religious group is asking to erect a $20,000 monument at the government owned property. A group of Satanists have submitted a proposal to create “an homage to the historic/literary Satan, [that] will certainly abide by these guidelines (be in good taste and consistent with community standards)."
What will this public monument to Satan look like? According to the proposal, it will either be an artistic pentagram or “an interactive display for children.” How fun! Republican Rep. Bobby Cleveland however, said the Satanists belong in “the nut category,” and he plans to introduce legislation that would allow state buildings to primarily celebrate Oklahoma's "Judeo-Christian heritage." The legal director of the state’s ACLU chapter however, told USA Today that they believe the best solution is for no religious symbols. “But if the Ten Commandments, with its overtly Christian message, is allowed to stay at the Capitol, the Satanic Temple's proposed monument cannot be rejected because of its different religious viewpoint" ...
Recommended For YouView More in Current
- > Justin Bieber: I Just Wanna Honestly Live Like Jesus
- > Why I Go To Church Even When I Don’t Feel Like It
- > Candace Cameron Bure Is the Newest Co-Host of ‘The View’
- > 3 Ways Christians Turn People Off from Church
- > Expert: 400 Church Leaders Will Resign This Sunday Because Names Surfaced in Ashley Madison Hack
- > Prosecutors in L.A. Are Now Reviewing Criminal Case Against Bill Cosy
- > An Animated Ghostbusters Movie May Also Soon Be in the Works
- > Watching Jell-O Being Smacked with a Tennis Racket in Slow Motion Is Surprisingly Satisfying
- > Report: Army Vet Shot 7 Times While Charging at Oregon Gunman
- > This Pizza Pouch Will Prevent All of Your Pizza Emergencies