Roma Downey Explains Why the Devil Was Cut Out of ‘Son of God’ Movie
During their hit Biblical miniseries epic The Bible, husband-and-wife producers Roma Downey and Mark Burnett were surprised that an unlikely character was receiving so much attention. Viewers noticed that in some scenes the devil closely resembled President Obama. Burnett and Downey responded that the depiction was completely unintentional, saying, they have “nothing but respect and love our president, who is a fellow Christian.” In a recent column for USA Today, Downey said that in light of the controversy, they’ve decided to “cast out” Satan from the upcoming Son of God film (which is based on the miniseries).
[F]or our movie, Son of God, I wanted all of the focus to be on Jesus. I want his name to be on the lips of everyone who sees this movie, so we cast Satan out. It gives me great pleasure to tell you that the devil is on the cutting room floor. This is now a movie about Jesus, the Son of God, and the devil gets no more screen time, no more distractions.
Son of God opens in theaters on Feb. 28 ...
Recommended For You
- > Ridley Scott Responds to the ‘Exodus’ Casting Controversy
- > André 3000 May Retire From Hip-Hop Next Year
- > ISIS Has Beheaded Another American Journalist
- > Sneezy the Squirrel Vying for Mascot Status at Penn State
- > Members of Bon Iver, The Strokes, and Arcade Fire Will Play in an Epic Charity Basketball Game