Roma Downey Explains Why the Devil Was Cut Out of ‘Son of God’ Movie
During their hit Biblical miniseries epic The Bible, husband-and-wife producers Roma Downey and Mark Burnett were surprised that an unlikely character was receiving so much attention. Viewers noticed that in some scenes the devil closely resembled President Obama. Burnett and Downey responded that the depiction was completely unintentional, saying, they have “nothing but respect and love our president, who is a fellow Christian.” In a recent column for USA Today, Downey said that in light of the controversy, they’ve decided to “cast out” Satan from the upcoming Son of God film (which is based on the miniseries).
[F]or our movie, Son of God, I wanted all of the focus to be on Jesus. I want his name to be on the lips of everyone who sees this movie, so we cast Satan out. It gives me great pleasure to tell you that the devil is on the cutting room floor. This is now a movie about Jesus, the Son of God, and the devil gets no more screen time, no more distractions.
Son of God opens in theaters on Feb. 28 ...
Recommended For You
- > Steve Carell Is Teaming Up with Charlie Kaufman for a New Sci-Fi Comedy
- > Shia LaBeouf On Becoming a Christian: 'It's a Real Thing That Really Saved Me.'
- > New Zealand Air’s Hobbit-Themed Safety Video Is a Middle Earth Masterpiece
- > Matthew McConaughey's Marriage Advice Actually Isn't Half Bad
- > This Is What a ‘Parks and Rec’ Themed Wedding Looks Like