Roma Downey Explains Why the Devil Was Cut Out of ‘Son of God’ Movie
During their hit Biblical miniseries epic The Bible, husband-and-wife producers Roma Downey and Mark Burnett were surprised that an unlikely character was receiving so much attention. Viewers noticed that in some scenes the devil closely resembled President Obama. Burnett and Downey responded that the depiction was completely unintentional, saying, they have “nothing but respect and love our president, who is a fellow Christian.” In a recent column for USA Today, Downey said that in light of the controversy, they’ve decided to “cast out” Satan from the upcoming Son of God film (which is based on the miniseries).
[F]or our movie, Son of God, I wanted all of the focus to be on Jesus. I want his name to be on the lips of everyone who sees this movie, so we cast Satan out. It gives me great pleasure to tell you that the devil is on the cutting room floor. This is now a movie about Jesus, the Son of God, and the devil gets no more screen time, no more distractions.
Son of God opens in theaters on Feb. 28 ...
Recommended For You
- > Being a Christian Doesn’t Always Look Like You Think It Should
- > 15 Things to Start Doing By the Time You’re 30
- > Shia LaBeouf On Becoming a Christian: 'It's a Real Thing That Really Saved Me.'
- > When Risking it All for God Means Staying Where You Are
- > This WWI Christmas Ad Is the Best Commercial You’ll See Today
- > There Are No Words to Describe This ‘Star Wars’ LED Christmas Light Display
- > 54 Nigerian Soldiers Have Been Sentenced to Death for Not Fighting Boko Haram
- > Marcel the Shell's 'Landslide' Cover Will Calm Your Fears
- > Now Steve Carrell’s Upcoming North Korea Movie Has Been Canned
- > The Death Penalty Is in Dramatic Decline in the U.S.