RIP, 'Dear Abby' Columnist
Pauline Friedman Phillips, who wrote under the name Abigail Van Buren, who was usually just called "Dear Abby," passed away Wednesday afternoon. Phillips' daughter, Jeanne Phillips, took over the column in 2002, when the original Abby was diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease. She went by "Abby" to friends and family her entire life (her sister, Eppie—whom the world knew as "Ann Landers"—retained her given name in her personal life) and was much loved for her mannerly advice, which managed to stay relevant and interesting even as she grew older and advice columns became less vogue ...
Recommended For YouView More in Current
- California Is About to Raise the Legal Age for Smoking and Vaping to 213
- Remembering the Time Woody Allen Debated Billy Graham About God and Sex in Primetime758
- Drake Is Going to Host and Perform as a Musical Guest on May 14’s ‘SNL’58
- The Faith-Shaking Experience of Losing Debates About the Bible328
- > Chance the Rapper Debuted a Worshipful New Song Called ‘Blessings’ on ‘The Tonight Show’
- > California Is About to Raise the Legal Age for Smoking and Vaping to 21
- > Drake Is Going to Host and Perform as a Musical Guest on May 14’s ‘SNL’
- > Lecrae Talks About His Song 'Deja Vu' on 'Fallon'
- > Enjoy This Dance-Inspired ‘Carpool Karaoke’ Remix