RIP, 'Dear Abby' Columnist
Pauline Friedman Phillips, who wrote under the name Abigail Van Buren, who was usually just called "Dear Abby," passed away Wednesday afternoon. Phillips' daughter, Jeanne Phillips, took over the column in 2002, when the original Abby was diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease. She went by "Abby" to friends and family her entire life (her sister, Eppie—whom the world knew as "Ann Landers"—retained her given name in her personal life) and was much loved for her mannerly advice, which managed to stay relevant and interesting even as she grew older and advice columns became less vogue ...
Recommended For You
- > Being a Christian Doesn’t Always Look Like You Think It Should
- > ISIS' New Enemy: A Terrifying Dutch Biker Gang
- > An Artist Is Inserting Mr. Bean into Famous Paintings For Some Reason
- > 15 Things to Start Doing By the Time You’re 30
- > Shia LaBeouf On Becoming a Christian: 'It's a Real Thing That Really Saved Me.'
- > Here's Your First Look at 'Pan'
- > The Internet Is Loving Odell Beckham's Amazing Catch
- > Superhero-Loving Girl Is Not Impressed with Store’s Ad about ‘Gifts for Boys’
- > NFL Star Gets Emotional After Scoring Touchdown for Daughter Born Hours Before
- > Report: Secretary of Defense Chuck Hagel Has Been Asked to Resign