RIP, 'Dear Abby' Columnist
Pauline Friedman Phillips, who wrote under the name Abigail Van Buren, who was usually just called "Dear Abby," passed away Wednesday afternoon. Phillips' daughter, Jeanne Phillips, took over the column in 2002, when the original Abby was diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease. She went by "Abby" to friends and family her entire life (her sister, Eppie—whom the world knew as "Ann Landers"—retained her given name in her personal life) and was much loved for her mannerly advice, which managed to stay relevant and interesting even as she grew older and advice columns became less vogue ...
Recommended For YouView More in Current
- > 7 Unbiblical Statements Christians Believe
- > ‘To Worship You I Live’ Brought the House Down on ‘The Voice’ Last Night
- > Watch ‘Fixer Upper's Chip and Joanna Gaines' Powerful Testimony on ‘I Am Second’
- > World Series MVP Ben Zobrist: ‘We All Need Grace. We All Need Christ’
- > 12 Fiction Books That Will Shape Your Theology
- > New Research Has Shown Greenland's Ice Sheet Could Melt Faster Than Scientists Thought
- > Some Geniuses Created Water-Powered Speeder Bikes from 'Star Wars'
- > Wesley Snipes Is Writing a Novel About Spiritual Warfare
- > The ‘War for the Planet of the Apes’ Trailer Just Dropped
- > Watch Pharrell and Kim Burrell Perform the Gospel-Anthem ‘I See a Victory’ on ‘The Tonight Show’