RIP, 'Dear Abby' Columnist
Pauline Friedman Phillips, who wrote under the name Abigail Van Buren, who was usually just called "Dear Abby," passed away Wednesday afternoon. Phillips' daughter, Jeanne Phillips, took over the column in 2002, when the original Abby was diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease. She went by "Abby" to friends and family her entire life (her sister, Eppie—whom the world knew as "Ann Landers"—retained her given name in her personal life) and was much loved for her mannerly advice, which managed to stay relevant and interesting even as she grew older and advice columns became less vogue ...
Recommended For YouView More in Current
- > 7 Unbiblical Statements Christians Believe
- > Watch ‘Fixer Upper's Chip and Joanna Gaines' Powerful Testimony on ‘I Am Second’
- > 12 Fiction Books That Will Shape Your Theology
- > Hillsong NYC’s Carl Lentz: At This Church, We Are Not Saying 'All Lives Matter'
- > Watch Justin Bieber Play ‘I Could Sing of Your Love Forever’ on the Purpose Tour
- > The Second Season of 'Jessica Jones' Will Only Have Women Directors
- > An American Missionary Was Kidnapped in Niger Earlier This Month
- > Adnan Syed Could Soon Be Freed on Bail
- > Mel Gibson Tells Joel Osteen that His ‘Passion’ Follow-up Will Be Surprising on a ‘Theological Level’
- > You Can Actually Tell When Your Friends Are Fake Laughing at Your Jokes, Because Science