RIP, 'Dear Abby' Columnist
Pauline Friedman Phillips, who wrote under the name Abigail Van Buren, who was usually just called "Dear Abby," passed away Wednesday afternoon. Phillips' daughter, Jeanne Phillips, took over the column in 2002, when the original Abby was diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease. She went by "Abby" to friends and family her entire life (her sister, Eppie—whom the world knew as "Ann Landers"—retained her given name in her personal life) and was much loved for her mannerly advice, which managed to stay relevant and interesting even as she grew older and advice columns became less vogue ...
Recommended For YouView More in Current
- > People Claim to Have Seen a Mysterious Movie That Never Existed
- > Netflix Is Now Allowing '13th' to Be Screened in Public Even Without a Subscription
- > Watch Chance the Rapper’s Worshipful Grammy Performance
- > I’m Single. Stop Pitying Me on Valentine’s Day
- > Royal Caribbean Wants to Hire Someone to Go on Cruises and Post to Instagram
- > An 8-Year-Old Refugee Comforted a Dog Hit by a Car Until He Could Get Help
- > Jewish Community Centers and Schools Across the Country Received Bomb Threats Today
- > This New ‘Kong: Skull Island’ Trailer Is Bananas
- > Watch Carl Lentz Preach a Mini-Sermon on ‘The Dr. Oz Show'
- > Here’s What Saved Kirk Franklin’s Marriage