Responding to Sandy Hook
In light of the Sandy Hook shootings, the National Rifle Association has gone into hibernation on almost every front, including a social media blackout. They even deactivated their Facebook page after some debates got particularly ugly (people on both sides of the debate were threatening to kill each other, obviously). New York City mayor Michael Bloomberg issued a strong challenge to President Barack Obama to make gun control his "number one agenda" of this term. "If he does nothing during his 2nd term, something like 48,000 Americans will be killed with illegal guns," Bloomberg told Meet the Press. "It's time for the president to stand up and lead and tell this country what we should do." In the meantime, blogger Liza Long wrote a hyper-viral piece titled "I Am Adam Lanza's Mother," detailing her experiences as the mother of a mentally ill child, making the case that help for the mentally ill, not gun control, is the solution ...
Recommended For You
- > Being a Christian Doesn’t Always Look Like You Think It Should
- > 15 Things to Start Doing By the Time You’re 30
- > Shia LaBeouf On Becoming a Christian: 'It's a Real Thing That Really Saved Me.'
- > When Risking it All for God Means Staying Where You Are
- > This WWI Christmas Ad Is the Best Commercial You’ll See Today
- > A Lot of Very Famous People Helped Stephen Colbert Close Out His Final Show
- > 77 Taliban Members Killed Following Attack on School
- > This New ‘American Sniper’ Trailer Is Intense
- > There Are No Words to Describe This ‘Star Wars’ LED Christmas Light Display
- > 54 Nigerian Soldiers Have Been Sentenced to Death for Not Fighting Boko Haram