Research: Sitting All Day Is Really, Really Bad For Us
According to new research, sitting may be worse for your health than smoking. In one study, the researchers found that for every hour of TV you watch while sitting, you lose 22 minutes from your estimated lifespan. By comparison, doctors say smokers cut 11 minutes of their lives with every cigarette they smoke. In addition to dramatically lowering the amount of calories our bodies burn throughout the day, sitting also increases our risk of heart disease and diabetes. What do the researchers recommend? Getting up and moving around. Even if you don’t convert your workstation to one of those standing desks, taking a two-minute walk every 20 minutes is enough to improve your glucose metabolism …
Recommended For YouView More in Life
- > Here’s the ‘Holy Spirit Funk’ Parody Music Video You Never Asked For
- > A New Animated Movie Starring Pez Dispensers Is in the Works
- > Bill to End $500 Million in Annual Federal Funds to Planned Parenthood Blocked in the Senate
- > And in Dublin, A Giant Minion Fell into Traffic
- > Here's the Universe's First Look at 'Zoolander 2'