Research: Sitting All Day Is Really, Really Bad For Us
According to new research, sitting may be worse for your health than smoking. In one study, the researchers found that for every hour of TV you watch while sitting, you lose 22 minutes from your estimated lifespan. By comparison, doctors say smokers cut 11 minutes of their lives with every cigarette they smoke. In addition to dramatically lowering the amount of calories our bodies burn throughout the day, sitting also increases our risk of heart disease and diabetes. What do the researchers recommend? Getting up and moving around. Even if you don’t convert your workstation to one of those standing desks, taking a two-minute walk every 20 minutes is enough to improve your glucose metabolism …
Recommended For You
- > Being a Christian Doesn’t Always Look Like You Think It Should
- > ISIS' New Enemy: A Terrifying Dutch Biker Gang
- > An Artist Is Inserting Mr. Bean into Famous Paintings For Some Reason
- > 15 Things to Start Doing By the Time You’re 30
- > Shia LaBeouf On Becoming a Christian: 'It's a Real Thing That Really Saved Me.'
- > Officer Darren Wilson May Soon Resign from Ferguson Police Department
- > Chris Traeger and Ann Perkins Are Returning to ‘Parks and Rec’
- > President Obama Announces Immigration Reform Plan
- > The One Campaign’s New Ebola PSA Features a Lot of Celebrities Saying Nothing
- > Well, What Do You Think About This Jesus Tattoo?