President Obama Proposes 'Exceptions' for Health Care Mandate
It may come as good news for the faith-based nonprofits and companies who have expressed protest at the health care mandate requiring insurance coverage of contraceptives that may have an abortifacient effect. President Obama announced today that a compromise to the mandate may be in sight. His proposal is to enact measures that will more clearly define religious organizations and their exemption eligibility, while also creating ways to dilute the direct connection between the contraceptive coverage of an employee and the religious organization they work for. Yet this new proposal only applies to faith-based organizations, and individual business owners whose faith conflicts with the mandate—like Hobby Lobby—are still subject to it.
Recommended For You
- > Being a Christian Doesn’t Always Look Like You Think It Should
- > 15 Things to Start Doing By the Time You’re 30
- > Shia LaBeouf On Becoming a Christian: 'It's a Real Thing That Really Saved Me.'
- > When Risking it All for God Means Staying Where You Are
- > This WWI Christmas Ad Is the Best Commercial You’ll See Today
- > Top Theater Chains Cancel Showings of ‘The Interview’ After Hacker Threats
- > Video Shows Just How Much Megatron Hates Selfies
- > The New Season of ‘Parks and Rec’ Will Take Place in the Future
- > Here's the First Preview for the Colbert Show Replacement, 'The Nightly Show'
- > Horrible Details of the Taliban's School Attack Emerge