Pope Francis to Hold Major Ceremony at a Youth Prison
The newly named pontiff is living up to his nickname, "the unpredictable Pope." Pope Francis surprised Vatican officials when he announced that he would not be holding next week's Holy Thursday service from its normal location of St. Peter's Basilica, and will instead lead the ceremony from a prison for young offenders. There, he will wash the feet of 12 inmates as part of a commemoration of Jesus’ Last Supper with His disciples. Though the pope's decision to hold such an important ceremony from a prison chapel was unexpected by the Vatican, it is in keeping with Pope Francis’ roots in Argentina, where he would regularly wash the feet of AIDS victims and street prostitutes …
Recommended For YouView More in God
- > American Student Tells Jimmy Fallon How He Stopped a Terrorist Attack on a French Train
- > Who’s Kermit the Frog’s New Girlfriend?
- > Spoon, Arcade Fire and Superchunk Talk Songwriting at SXSW
- > T-Pain’s Auto-Tune-Free National Anthem Was Incredible
- > Bill Maher and Rick Santorum Spar Over Pope’s Teaching on Climate Change