Pope Concert Snub Surprises Vatican But Signals an Embrace of Simplicity
Pope Francis stunned cardinals when he didn’t show up to an opulent classic music concert being held in his honor. Instead, an elaborate white chair designated for him sat empty. Moments before the concert was about to start, the crowd was informed that the pope had an "urgent commitment that cannot be postponed," but according to Reuters the message was clear: “With the Church in crisis, he—and perhaps they—had too much pastoral work to do to attend social events.” The picture of the empty white chair ran in several Italian newspapers with stories explaining how Pope Francis was sending a signal that he had no desire to attend glamorous social events. The day before the concert, Pope Francis told bishops that they should not have “the mentality of a prince” but instead be “close to the people” …
Recommended For YouView More in God
- > The Real Abuse at the Heart of 'Fifty Shades of Grey'
- > Why Don’t the Guys in my Church Ask Women on Dates?
- > 'Christian Cleavage' Probably Isn't the Problem
- > Report: ISIS Just Kidnapped a Group of at Least 90 Christians, Including Children
- > Chris Pratt and Chris Evans Made Good on Their Super Bowl Bet
- > DOJ Investigation into Ferguson PD Finds Racism and Constitutional Violations
- > Netanyahu: Deal with Iran Could Lead to Nation Getting the Nuclear Weapons
- > Report: Hillary Clinton Only Used Personal Email While Secretary of State
- > NHL Player’s Daughter Writes Adorable Letter to Get Dad Traded Closer to Home
- > Watch Colbert Discuss the Bible, Faith and Hymns with Fr. James Martin