Pope Calls for Day of Fasting and Prayer for Syria
On Sunday, Pope Francis announced that September 7 would be a day of fasting and prayer for Syria, a nation embroiled in a horrific civil war that has left hundreds of thousands dead. Instead of his typical religious-themed sermon or Bible lesson, during his weekly message the Pope talked almost entirely about the conflict in the country.
Though he said he is praying for a peaceful resolution to the war without further military intervention, the Catholic Church leader spoke out against the recent chemical weapons attack that killed at least 1,400 people outside Damascus. “With utmost firmness, I condemn the use of chemical weapons. I tell you that those terrible images from recent days are burned into my mind and heart.” He warned that “violence brings on violence” and told leaders that “There is the judgment of God and also the judgment of history, upon our actions, from which there is no escaping” …
Recommended For YouView More in God
- ‘Boxcar Children' Movies Are in the Works So Millennials Can Relive Their Book Fair Glory Days97
- Science: People Who Are Workaholics Are More Likely to Suffer From Anxiety, Depression and ADHD320
- Did Bieber and Skrillex Steal the Riff for ‘Sorry’ From This Song? 69
- Three Lies Culture Tells Us About Being Single145
- > ‘Boxcar Children' Movies Are in the Works So Millennials Can Relive Their Book Fair Glory Days
- > Science: People Who Are Workaholics Are More Likely to Suffer From Anxiety, Depression and ADHD
- > This Dude Proposed to His Girlfriend with a Custom ‘Super Mario Bros.’ Level
- > Did Bieber and Skrillex Steal the Riff for ‘Sorry’ From This Song?
- > New Study Finds Link Between Cellphone Radiation and Cancer in Lab Rats