Pope Calls for Day of Fasting and Prayer for Syria
On Sunday, Pope Francis announced that September 7 would be a day of fasting and prayer for Syria, a nation embroiled in a horrific civil war that has left hundreds of thousands dead. Instead of his typical religious-themed sermon or Bible lesson, during his weekly message the Pope talked almost entirely about the conflict in the country.
Though he said he is praying for a peaceful resolution to the war without further military intervention, the Catholic Church leader spoke out against the recent chemical weapons attack that killed at least 1,400 people outside Damascus. “With utmost firmness, I condemn the use of chemical weapons. I tell you that those terrible images from recent days are burned into my mind and heart.” He warned that “violence brings on violence” and told leaders that “There is the judgment of God and also the judgment of history, upon our actions, from which there is no escaping” …
Recommended For You
- > Noah Story Finally Getting Its Family Friendly Comedy Adaptation
- > As Ice Bucket Challenges Go, John Krasinski's Is a Good One
- > Congratulations on 150 Million Installations, YouVersion.
- > 16-Year-Old Arrested For Writing a Facebook Status About Killing a Dinosaur
- > Found Footage of Brutal Murders Sets Off International Investigation