Pope Benedict on Why He Stepped Down: ‘God Told Me To’
When Pope Benedict became the first Pope to step down from the position in 600 years, it took many Vatican-watchers by surprise. Now, the 86-year-old has revealed the real reason why: “God told me to.” The former leader of the Catholic Church said that during a “mystical experience” God gave him an “absolute desire” to spend his life in prayer, not as pope. In the interview with the Catholic news group Zenit, Benedict said that after observing his successor, Pope Francis, he now has confirmation that his decision was the "will of God." Since becoming pope, Francis has gained international attention for his humble approach to leadership, his efforts to end Church corruption and his focus on serving the poor …
Recommended For YouView More in God
- > The Real Abuse at the Heart of 'Fifty Shades of Grey'
- > Why Don’t the Guys in my Church Ask Women on Dates?
- > 'Christian Cleavage' Probably Isn't the Problem
- > Report: ISIS Just Kidnapped a Group of at Least 90 Christians, Including Children
- > Chris Pratt and Chris Evans Made Good on Their Super Bowl Bet
- > Southern Baptists Urge President Obama to Act on ISIS
- > Yep. Mumford's New Album Will Be All Electric.
- > The Perfect Crime: Thief Knocks Himself Out Trying to Break Into Car
- > Icing-Filled Cap’n Crunch-Covered Donut Holes Are Being Sold at Taco Bell
- > Kanye's New Album Will Be Called ‘So Help Me God’