Obama Calls for Improved Gun-Buyer Background Checks Following Shooting
In the wake of a mass shooting at Washington D.C.’s Navy Yard that left 12 workers dead and numerous others injured, President Obama has challenged lawmakers to revisit legislation requiring better background checks for potential gun owners. Though investigators are still trying to identify the shooter’s motives, there have been reports that Aaron Alexis dealt with numerous mental health problems. The President told Telemundo, “The fact that we do not have a firm enough background-check system is something that makes us more vulnerable to these kinds of mass shootings … I’ve taken steps that are within my control. The next phase now is for Congress to go ahead and move.” Recently, the Obama Administration proposed new rules that would require background checks for firearm purchases online and at gun shows. He also requested $20 million for the Justice Department, as part of an initiative to equip states to enter citizens’ mental health records into databases to be checked before gun sales …
Recommended For YouView More in Current
- > The Real Abuse at the Heart of 'Fifty Shades of Grey'
- > Why Don’t the Guys in my Church Ask Women on Dates?
- > 'Christian Cleavage' Probably Isn't the Problem
- > Report: ISIS Just Kidnapped a Group of at Least 90 Christians, Including Children
- > Chris Pratt and Chris Evans Made Good on Their Super Bowl Bet
- > DOJ Investigation into Ferguson PD Finds Racism and Constitutional Violations
- > Netanyahu: Deal with Iran Could Lead to Nation Getting the Nuclear Weapons
- > Report: Hillary Clinton Only Used Personal Email While Secretary of State
- > NHL Player’s Daughter Writes Adorable Letter to Get Dad Traded Closer to Home
- > Watch Colbert Discuss the Bible, Faith and Hymns with Fr. James Martin