North Korea Actually Does Something Right
Okay, so, overturning an old law that forbids women from riding bicycles may not exactly be a giant leap forward for human rights, but from North Korea, it might as well be the Emancipation Proclamation. The law—first imposed the law in the early 1990s, following an accident that involved a woman on a bike— meant that any woman seen riding could be fined up to 5000 North Korean Won (about $40.) It was not heavily enforced outside the capital city, but Kim Jong Un's decision to completely reverse it shows an unusual amount of reflection and forward thinking for a country that's mostly noted for being a land where freedom goes to die ...
Recommended For YouView More in Current
- > Here's a Video of an Escaped Emu Running Around a Town in England
- > Poll: 6 in 10 Americans Approve of the Use of Drone Strikes
- > Report: Freddie Gray Sustained Injuries in Van; Death Ruled Homicide
- > Nigerian Military Rescue More Than 100 Women and Children from Boko Haram
- > Tesla Announces Creation of ‘Powerwall’ Consumer Battery