North Korea Actually Does Something Right
Okay, so, overturning an old law that forbids women from riding bicycles may not exactly be a giant leap forward for human rights, but from North Korea, it might as well be the Emancipation Proclamation. The law—first imposed the law in the early 1990s, following an accident that involved a woman on a bike— meant that any woman seen riding could be fined up to 5000 North Korean Won (about $40.) It was not heavily enforced outside the capital city, but Kim Jong Un's decision to completely reverse it shows an unusual amount of reflection and forward thinking for a country that's mostly noted for being a land where freedom goes to die ...
Recommended For YouView More in Current
- > Michael Jordan Speaks Out Against Police Brutality and Violence Against Police
- > At Least 80 People Were Killed By ISIS Suicide Attacks in Kabul on Saturday
- > The ‘Mystery Science Theater 3000’ Reboot Is Headed to Netflix
- > Host of ‘The Preachers’ Says He Was Joking After He Seemed to Endorse Open Marriages
- > This ‘Legends of the Hidden Temple’ Movie Looks Super Lame