National Fast Food Workers Strike Is Happening Today
If you’re heading out to grab a burger at lunch this afternoon, you may notice that many fast food restaurants aren’t open for business today. Employees across several major cities are taking part in a massive fast food workers strike today, protesting their low wages and fighting for the right to organize as a labor group without the risk of losing their jobs. Currently, the average hourly wage for an American fast food worker is just $9 an hour—the annual income comes out to about $4,500 under the poverty threshold for a family of four. Workers are asking that fast food companies increase the industry’s minimum wage to $15 an hour …
Recommended For YouView More in Current
- > Amazon’s ‘Dash’ Automatic Ordering Button Is Evidently Not a Prank
- > U.S. Foreign Adoptions are the Lowest They’ve Been Since 1982
- > Noose Found Hanging on Duke Campus. Investigation Underway.
- > Netflix Wants to Remind You of the 'Dangers' of Binge-Watching
- > Spray for Cyclists Lights Up at Night But Is Invisible During the Day