Mehr: The Iranian YouTube
Although many Iranians have found a way around the government's web filter, Iran has gone ahead and created a YouTube all its own called "Mehr." It's the nation's very first state-sponsored foray into online media, and it's in full adherence to the country's interpretation of Islamic Law. It's the latest, and probably not the last, attempt of Iran to achieve independence from global web services. But it's just as likely to make the populace dependent on one cat video an hour to get anything done, so it's sort of a lose/lose situation ...
Recommended For YouView More in Culture
- > Forget the ‘Steve Jobs’ Movie. ‘Michael Dell’ Is the Biopic You’ve Been Waiting For
- > Watch Don Cheadle as Miles Davis in the First 'Miles Ahead' Trailer
- > In Singapore, the Streets Talk Back
- > The Ten Commandments Monument Has Been Removed from Oklahoma Capitol
- > Here’s the New Trailer for Bryan Cranston’s Dramatic Biopic ‘Trumbo’