Mehr: The Iranian YouTube
Although many Iranians have found a way around the government's web filter, Iran has gone ahead and created a YouTube all its own called "Mehr." It's the nation's very first state-sponsored foray into online media, and it's in full adherence to the country's interpretation of Islamic Law. It's the latest, and probably not the last, attempt of Iran to achieve independence from global web services. But it's just as likely to make the populace dependent on one cat video an hour to get anything done, so it's sort of a lose/lose situation ...
Recommended For YouView More in Culture
- > Jennifer Lawrence and Amy Schumer Team Up For A New Film
- > Biebs Is Bringing Back the WWJD Bracelet
- > Just Try to Contain Your Excitement: There’s a New Album on the Way From Adele
- > Behind-the-Scenes of ‘Captive’: The Story of the ‘Purpose Driven Life’ Hostage Stand-off
- > Trippy New PSA Uses Internet Memes to Warn of the Dangers of Smoking