Mehr: The Iranian YouTube
Although many Iranians have found a way around the government's web filter, Iran has gone ahead and created a YouTube all its own called "Mehr." It's the nation's very first state-sponsored foray into online media, and it's in full adherence to the country's interpretation of Islamic Law. It's the latest, and probably not the last, attempt of Iran to achieve independence from global web services. But it's just as likely to make the populace dependent on one cat video an hour to get anything done, so it's sort of a lose/lose situation ...
Recommended For YouView More in Culture
- > KKK Hosts Rally to Support Confederate Flag
- > Oklahoma Supreme Court Orders Ten Commandments Removed
- > Here’s a New Clip from Marvel’s ‘Ant-Man’
- > Finally, Someone Put Nicolas Cage’s Face on Every ‘Game of Thrones’ Character
- > Almost 2 Months After Country Was Declared Ebola-Free, an Infected Teen Has Died in Liberia