Mehr: The Iranian YouTube
Although many Iranians have found a way around the government's web filter, Iran has gone ahead and created a YouTube all its own called "Mehr." It's the nation's very first state-sponsored foray into online media, and it's in full adherence to the country's interpretation of Islamic Law. It's the latest, and probably not the last, attempt of Iran to achieve independence from global web services. But it's just as likely to make the populace dependent on one cat video an hour to get anything done, so it's sort of a lose/lose situation ...
Recommended For YouView More in Culture
- > Here’s This: Kanye Says His T-Swift Interruption Was Activism
- > 'Hamilton' Grabs an Insane Number of Tony Nominations
- > Here’s a Look at ‘The War of 1996’ in This New ‘Independence Day: Resurgence’ Preview
- > Meanwhile in Politics, Trump Says Ted Cruz's Dad Was Part of the JFK Assassination
- > This Creepy New Radiohead Video Has Some Interesting Religious Imagery