Meet Chuck Hagel, Obama's Nominee for Secretary of Defense
Just when you were starting to get used to no bitter fighting, mudslinging or hand-wringing from the White House, here comes the new nominee for Secretary of Defense. President Obama nominated Nebraska's former Republican senator Chuck Hagel on Monday, yet another in the President's merry band who's just moderate enough to make sure both parties don't like him. On the one hand, he's a Republican—one whose comments about homosexuality have gotten him in trouble—which ought to have Democrats seeing red. Conversely, as a Republican, he's made some significant breaks with his party—notably, his Iraq War voting record and his stance on Israel. In fact, some of Hagel's fellow Republicans seemed less wary of John Kerry for Secretary of State than they do of Hagel for defense, which means we're all in for another round of Oval Office drama ...
Recommended For You
- > Being a Christian Doesn’t Always Look Like You Think It Should
- > 15 Things to Start Doing By the Time You’re 30
- > Shia LaBeouf On Becoming a Christian: 'It's a Real Thing That Really Saved Me.'
- > When Risking it All for God Means Staying Where You Are
- > This WWI Christmas Ad Is the Best Commercial You’ll See Today
- > There Are No Words to Describe This ‘Star Wars’ LED Christmas Light Display
- > 54 Nigerian Soldiers Have Been Sentenced to Death for Not Fighting Boko Haram
- > Marcel the Shell's 'Landslide' Cover Will Calm Your Fears
- > Now Steve Carrell’s Upcoming North Korea Movie Has Been Canned
- > The Death Penalty Is in Dramatic Decline in the U.S.