McAfee's Secret Hideout Accidentally Blown by Vice Magazine
One of the more bonkers stories of 2012 is the ongoing saga of John McAfee, he of McAFee antivirus fame. He had ended up living some sort of hedonistic fever dream in Belize before local police started asking questions about his possible involvement with a neighbors' murder earlier this year. No sooner had they started sniffing around than McAfee flew the coup, taking up life as a man on the run. The computer wizard didn't fall totally off the radar, however, as he's been blogging his entire getaway, taunting authorities and just generally yakking. Vice magazine—a publication with a well-known knack for getting stories with those on the wrong side of the law—caught up with McAfee and even snapped a picture with him and editor-in-chief Rocco Castoro. The picture was posted, but Castoro forgot to wipe his GPS and revealed McAfee's location: Guatemala. After trying to pretend he'd set the whole thing up as a joke for authorities, McAfee fled again, admitting on his blog that he'd been made but not captured. The takeaway here is that if you're on the lam, just steer clear of reporters ...
Recommended For YouView More in Culture
- > The Presidential Debate Will Be Streaming Tonight for All Cord Cutters
- > This Trailer for ‘The 13th’ Will Make You Rethink What You Know About Mass Incarceration
- > Martin Scorsese’s Missionary Film ‘Silence’ Will Release in December
- > Even the Guy In Charge of DC Movies Doesn’t Like Them
- > Tim Tebow On Colin Kaepernick's Protests: It's About Doing It 'the Right Way'