McAfee's Run Comes to a Close
And so ends one of 2012's most bonkers story: the tale of John McAfee, software pioneer/wanton hedonist/runaway murder suspect/geotagging victim. The man behind McAfee Antivirus has become famous in recent years for his increasing eccentricities, which seemed to culminate in his suspected involvement in the shooting death of his neighbor. "Seemed to culminate," because it actually culminated in his giving Belize police the slip and escaping to wild life on the lam, blogging his many misadventures over at www.whoismcafee.com. The whole thing might have gone on for ages, had not he taken up with Vice magazine, which posted a picture of him but forgot to turn off the geotag, which made McAfee's whereabouts public knowledge for anyone who cared to look. Both McAfee and Vice immediately tried to cover up the mishap by saying the whole thing was an elaborate joke. (Why they thought anyone would believe that is a mystery.) Police swarmed the Rio Dulce National Park in Guatemala and promptly brought McAfee in for entering the country illegally. It was an unusual oversight from Vice magazine, who are no strangers to secrecy and are now in hot water for aiding and abetting a known criminal. Regardless, McAfee's now being brought back to Belize where he'll face the proper authorities, and everyone can sleep a little sounder knowing the world's weirdest criminal is in custody ...
Recommended For You
- > Shia LaBeouf On Becoming a Christian: 'It's a Real Thing That Really Saved Me.'
- > New Zealand Air’s Hobbit-Themed Safety Video Is a Middle Earth Masterpiece
- > Matthew McConaughey's Marriage Advice Actually Isn't Half Bad
- > This Is What a ‘Parks and Rec’ Themed Wedding Looks Like
- > Did You Catch the Bible Verse Easter Eggs on This Week’s ‘The Walking Dead’?