Louie Giglio Withdraws From the White House Inauguration
Louie Giglio, the Atlanta pastor and Passion founder, has withdrawn from President Barack Obama's inauguration ceremony, where he'd been asked to say the benediction. The move comes on the heels of widespread criticism on one of Giglio's old sermons, which warned about the "aggressive agenda" of the gay rights movement. In a statement, Giglio said:
Neither I, nor our team, feel it best serves the core message and goals we are seeking to accomplish to be in a fight on an issue not of our choosing, thus I respectfully withdraw my acceptance of the President's invitation. I will continue to pray regularly for the President, and urge the nation to do so. I will most certainly pray for him on Inauguration Day. Our nation is deeply divided and hurting, and more than ever need God's grace and mercy in our time of need.
In a response, the presidential inaugural committee spokesperson, Addie Whisenant, said, "Pastor Giglio was asked to deliver the benediction in large part for his leadership in combating human trafficking around the world. As we now work to select someone to deliver the benediction, we will ensure their beliefs reflect this administration’s vision of inclusion and acceptance for all Americans" ...
Recommended For YouView More in God
- Scientists Are Calling for the Rio Olympics to Be Postponed or Moved Because of Public Health Concerns146
- Henry Heimlich Finally Got to Use His Famous Maneuver49
- ‘Boxcar Children' Movies Are in the Works So Millennials Can Relive Their Book Fair Glory Days7,730
- Here’s What Jesus Meant When He Said, “Sell Everything And Give It to the Poor.”711
- > Scientists Are Calling for the Rio Olympics to Be Postponed or Moved Because of Public Health Concerns
- > Henry Heimlich Finally Got to Use His Famous Maneuver
- > ‘Boxcar Children' Movies Are in the Works So Millennials Can Relive Their Book Fair Glory Days
- > Science: People Who Are Workaholics Are More Likely to Suffer From Anxiety, Depression and ADHD
- > This Dude Proposed to His Girlfriend with a Custom ‘Super Mario Bros.’ Level