Look for the helpers ...
As more tragic updates poured in about the Boston Marathon Bombing, people around the world took to social media to express their prayers, encouragement and help for the victims of the tragedy.
The Spreadsheet: Within hours of the event, a Google Document spreadsheet that contains contact information of locals offering places to stay appeared online as a community came together to help those in need.
“I don't live in the city--but can come get anyone who needs a place to stay” ... “Extra bed and couches to sleep 4-5, plus floor space” ... “My husband and I live in a 1 bedroom in Brighton. We have a pull out sofa the living room for anyone who might need a place to stay.”
Donations: Within hours, the Red Cross had received so many blood donations they had to ask people to stop coming. In addition, many Boston restaurants adopted a "pay-what-you-can" model for the night, offering their food, wifi, restrooms and company to anyone who needed it.
Encouragement from Mr. Rogers: On Facebook, one of the most shared images on Monday was from Presbyterian minister and TV show host Fred Rogers, that focuses not on the evil of the world, but the common humanity of those who come together to help others: “When I was a boy and I would see scary things in the news, my mother would say to me, ‘Look for the helpers. You will always find people who are helping” …
Recommended For YouView More in Current
- > 7 Unbiblical Statements Christians Believe
- > Watch ‘Fixer Upper's Chip and Joanna Gaines' Powerful Testimony on ‘I Am Second’
- > World Series MVP Ben Zobrist: ‘We All Need Grace. We All Need Christ’
- > 12 Fiction Books That Will Shape Your Theology
- > Infidelity Doesn’t Just Happen. It Starts with These Subtle Warnings
- > Harvard Study Links Church Attendance to Lower Divorce Rates
- > Obama Thinks Pot Should Be Decriminalized
- > This YouTube Genius Can Turn Any Song into Smash Mouth’s ‘All Star’
- > Chick-fil-A Is Rolling Out Another Food Truck
- > Pakistan Has Sentenced Five People to Death for Murdering a Christian Couple