Liberty U. Gives Scholarship to High Schooler Charged for Accidentally Bringing Gun to School
Liberty University recently made headlines for becoming one of only a handful of schools to allow students to carry firearms into classrooms (if they meet certain criteria and have a concealed weapons permit). Now Liberty, which is one of the nation’s largest Christian schools, is offering a scholarship to a high school student facing gun charges. Recently, David "Cole" Withrow was arrested and suspended when he says he accidently left a shotgun in the back of his truck after going skeet shooting. When teachers overheard him call his mother to retrieve the gun when he realized he had left it in his car when he drove to school, they called the police and Withrow was arrested and charged with a felony.
In a statement, the school said, "In reaction to the gun control debate in America, Liberty University recently loosened—not strengthened—its concealed weapons policy on campus, and is now providing a scholarship to a North Carolina high school student who was arrested for leaving a shotgun in his pick-up truck in the school parking lot." In an interview with The Blaze, school president Jerry Falwell, Jr. expressed his opinion about gun laws and the case. "I think they were just trying to make a point that guns are evil. Our society is just going too far … Anti-gun zealots tried to vilify him for doing the right thing, so Liberty has decided to award him the help he needs to attend a private Christian college” …
Recommended For YouView More in Current
- > 7 Unbiblical Statements Christians Believe
- > ‘To Worship You I Live’ Brought the House Down on ‘The Voice’ Last Night
- > Watch ‘Fixer Upper's Chip and Joanna Gaines' Powerful Testimony on ‘I Am Second’
- > World Series MVP Ben Zobrist: ‘We All Need Grace. We All Need Christ’
- > 12 Fiction Books That Will Shape Your Theology
- > New Research Has Shown Greenland's Ice Sheet Could Melt Faster Than Scientists Thought
- > Some Geniuses Created Water-Powered Speeder Bikes from 'Star Wars'
- > Wesley Snipes Is Writing a Novel About Spiritual Warfare
- > The ‘War for the Planet of the Apes’ Trailer Just Dropped
- > Watch Pharrell and Kim Burrell Perform the Gospel-Anthem ‘I See a Victory’ on ‘The Tonight Show’