Leader of Hungary's Anti-Semitic Party Finds Out He's Jewish
In a story that might be considered sort of a cautionary tale for groups that pilfer hate and fear of your neighbors, Csanad Szegedi—the leader of Hungary's overtly anti-Semitic Jobbik Party—has discovered that he is Jewish. Very Jewish. As in, both of his grandparents spent years in Nazi concentration camps. This came as a tough blow for a man who continuously railed against the "Jewishness" of Hungary's political elite. He was first confronted with the evidence back in 2010, by a prisoner who had evidence of Szegedi's mother's Jewish roots. Szegedi bribed the man to keep him quiet, but rumors spread and, in June, he resigned from all party positions. Even this wasn't enough for the Jobbik party, who have forced him out of European Parliament as well. The story appears to be ending on a high note, as Szegedi is making a pilgrimage of sorts: he's going to Auschwitz to pay respects to the Jewish martyrs ...
Recommended For You
- > Being a Christian Doesn’t Always Look Like You Think It Should
- > ISIS' New Enemy: A Terrifying Dutch Biker Gang
- > An Artist Is Inserting Mr. Bean into Famous Paintings For Some Reason
- > 15 Things to Start Doing By the Time You’re 30
- > Shia LaBeouf On Becoming a Christian: 'It's a Real Thing That Really Saved Me.'
- > Officer Darren Wilson May Soon Resign from Ferguson Police Department
- > Chris Traeger and Ann Perkins Are Returning to ‘Parks and Rec’
- > President Obama Announces Immigration Reform Plan
- > The One Campaign’s New Ebola PSA Features a Lot of Celebrities Saying Nothing
- > Well, What Do You Think About This Jesus Tattoo?