Leader of Hungary's Anti-Semitic Party Finds Out He's Jewish
In a story that might be considered sort of a cautionary tale for groups that pilfer hate and fear of your neighbors, Csanad Szegedi—the leader of Hungary's overtly anti-Semitic Jobbik Party—has discovered that he is Jewish. Very Jewish. As in, both of his grandparents spent years in Nazi concentration camps. This came as a tough blow for a man who continuously railed against the "Jewishness" of Hungary's political elite. He was first confronted with the evidence back in 2010, by a prisoner who had evidence of Szegedi's mother's Jewish roots. Szegedi bribed the man to keep him quiet, but rumors spread and, in June, he resigned from all party positions. Even this wasn't enough for the Jobbik party, who have forced him out of European Parliament as well. The story appears to be ending on a high note, as Szegedi is making a pilgrimage of sorts: he's going to Auschwitz to pay respects to the Jewish martyrs ...
Recommended For You
- > Almost Half of the Syrian Population Is Now Displaced
- > Bill Murray Took Tickets at a Minor League Baseball Game This Week
- > Officials in Missouri Are Being Sued for $40 Million Following Ferguson Crackdown
- > Here’s a Look at Google’s Drone Delivery System, Project Wing
- > ‘Simpsons’ Mini-Marathons Will Be a Part of FXX’s Daily Lineup Moving Forward