Jim Wallis Discusses His Support for Same-Sex Marriage
In an interview with the Huffington Post, evangelical leader and Sojourners founder Jim Wallis said that he now supports the legalization of same-sex marriage. This marks a change in position for Wallis, who in a 2008 interview with Christianity Today said, “I don't think the sacrament of marriage should be changed … marriage is all through the Bible, and it's not gender-neutral.” A spokesperson for Sojourners told The Christian Post that Wallis’s new position on the issue represents a "civil legal perspective", not necessarily a theological one.
In the Huffington Post interview, Wallis said, “I want a deeper commitment to marriage that is more and more inclusive, and that's where I think the country is going." Wallis also said that he does not think that Christians who oppose gay marriage should be labeled as bigoted, saying, “I don't think they should be called 'bigots' if they are struggling with what the Bible says about this, or might we lose marriage because of this. ... But calling each other names, we've got to stop doing that” …
Recommended For YouView More in God
- > People Claim to Have Seen a Mysterious Movie That Never Existed
- > ‘To Worship You I Live’ Brought the House Down on ‘The Voice’ Last Night
- > Philadelphia Eagles Player Has Baptized 5 of His Teammates
- > 11 Resolutions Everyone Should Consider Making Next Year
- > Oh No. Beard Christmas Lights Are Now a Thing
- > Here’s a Brand New Song from Arcade Fire Featuring Mavis Staples
- > Trump Just Led a Standing Ovation for Bill and Hillary Clinton
- > At Least 95 People Have Been Arrested in DC at Anti-Trump Rallies
- > Hillary Clinton Will Attend the Inauguration to 'Honor Democracy'
- > Clarence Thomas Will Be the First Black Person to Swear in a President or Vice President