Jim Wallis Discusses His Support for Same-Sex Marriage
In an interview with the Huffington Post, evangelical leader and Sojourners founder Jim Wallis said that he now supports the legalization of same-sex marriage. This marks a change in position for Wallis, who in a 2008 interview with Christianity Today said, “I don't think the sacrament of marriage should be changed … marriage is all through the Bible, and it's not gender-neutral.” A spokesperson for Sojourners told The Christian Post that Wallis’s new position on the issue represents a "civil legal perspective", not necessarily a theological one.
In the Huffington Post interview, Wallis said, “I want a deeper commitment to marriage that is more and more inclusive, and that's where I think the country is going." Wallis also said that he does not think that Christians who oppose gay marriage should be labeled as bigoted, saying, “I don't think they should be called 'bigots' if they are struggling with what the Bible says about this, or might we lose marriage because of this. ... But calling each other names, we've got to stop doing that” …
Recommended For YouView More in God
- > The Real Abuse at the Heart of 'Fifty Shades of Grey'
- > Why Don’t the Guys in my Church Ask Women on Dates?
- > 'Christian Cleavage' Probably Isn't the Problem
- > Report: ISIS Just Kidnapped a Group of at Least 90 Christians, Including Children
- > Chris Pratt and Chris Evans Made Good on Their Super Bowl Bet
- > DOJ Investigation into Ferguson PD Finds Racism and Constitutional Violations
- > Netanyahu: Deal with Iran Could Lead to Nation Getting the Nuclear Weapons
- > Report: Hillary Clinton Only Used Personal Email While Secretary of State
- > NHL Player’s Daughter Writes Adorable Letter to Get Dad Traded Closer to Home
- > Watch Colbert Discuss the Bible, Faith and Hymns with Fr. James Martin