Incredible Miami Couple Has Fostered 90 Children
Lisa and Jorge Alvarez couldn't get pregnant with kids of their own, so they took in a foster child in hopes of adopting him. That didn't work out, but it gave them the foster care bug and it has taken some kind of root. Over the past ten years, the Alvarez family has fostered 90 children. “This is very rewarding,” Lisa says. “I love doing it. I realize this is my calling, this is what God had set out for me to do.” They take in no more than five at a time, generally for a year, but sometimes for as many as three years, although the Alvarezes joke that many of the kids never really leave. Lots of them move into the neighborhood once they're out of the foster care system, just to be close to Lisa and Jorge. Katherine Ramos, a 23-year-old who spent a year with them in their teens, still stops in several times a week. “You know how they say home is where the heart is? This is where my heart is. This is my home. Lisa and Jorge are like angels walking on earth” ...
Recommended For YouView More in Reject Apathy
- > The Real Abuse at the Heart of 'Fifty Shades of Grey'
- > Why Don’t the Guys in my Church Ask Women on Dates?
- > 'Christian Cleavage' Probably Isn't the Problem
- > Report: ISIS Just Kidnapped a Group of at Least 90 Christians, Including Children
- > Chris Pratt and Chris Evans Made Good on Their Super Bowl Bet
- > RIP, Jared Leto's Long Hair. You Were Too Beautiful For This World.
- > Outrageous: Man Burned By Fajitas While Praying Can't Sue Applebee's
- > U.S. Concerned about North Korean Nukes
- > Milk that Tastes Like Peeps Is the Ultimate Easter Beverage
- > The Smithsonian and Stan Lee Are Offering an Online Superhero Course