Hispanic Evangelical Leaders Fight for Immigration Reform
Today, leaders from the National Hispanic Christian Leadership Conference will be meeting with several top House Republicans, including House Speaker John Boehner, in an effort to have an immigration reform bill revisited. NHCLC President Samuel Rodriguez told The Christian Post, "The idea that by providing a pathway to citizenship will somehow egregiously impact the Republican Party is a ridiculous idea. It's a lie. Our message is simple: Hispanics are people of faith, family and religious liberty … [Republicans] can either build a bridge and step into the 'promised land' of the Hispanic-American electorate, or the Republican/conservative movement will lie stranded in the 'Jordan' of political ambiguity.”
Earlier this week, National Coalition of Latino Clergy & Christian Leaders chairman Rev. Miguel Rivera issued a call for evangelical leaders of all backgrounds to join the fight for immigration reform. In a statement, he said, “Even though today we see a proactive reaction from our Anglo evangelical brethren, the truth is that there will be no comprehensive immigration reform passed in Congress, unless those most conservative members of the House of Representatives will be compelled to vote in favor of [it]” …
Recommended For You
- > Being a Christian Doesn’t Always Look Like You Think It Should
- > 15 Things to Start Doing By the Time You’re 30
- > Shia LaBeouf On Becoming a Christian: 'It's a Real Thing That Really Saved Me.'
- > When Risking it All for God Means Staying Where You Are
- > This WWI Christmas Ad Is the Best Commercial You’ll See Today
- > Top Theater Chains Cancel Showings of ‘The Interview’ After Hacker Threats
- > Video Shows Just How Much Megatron Hates Selfies
- > The New Season of ‘Parks and Rec’ Will Take Place in the Future
- > Here's the First Preview for the Colbert Show Replacement, 'The Nightly Show'
- > Horrible Details of the Taliban's School Attack Emerge