Good Night, Sweet New York City Marathon
Amid widespread criticism and growing concern for neighborhoods that have yet to receive due attention in Hurricane Sandy's wake, Mayor Mike Bloomberg has announced that the New York City Marathon will be canceled for the first time in 40 years. His office issued a statement saying, "The marathon has always brought our city together and inspired us with stories of courage and determination. We would not want a cloud to hang over the race or its participants, and so we have decided to cancel it. We cannot allow a controversy over an athletic event – even one as meaningful as this – to distract attention away from all the critically important work that is being done to recover from the storm and get our city back on track." All runners are being guaranteed a spot in next year's race ...
Recommended For YouView More in Current
- > KFC's Secret Recipe May Have Been Revealed to the Chicago Tribune
- > Orlando Hospitals Won't Bill Pulse Shooting Victims
- > Research: Most People Looking for a New Church Are Looking for Better Preaching
- > 13 People Were Killed in an Attack on Afghanistan's American University Yesterday
- > A Mad Lego Scientist Makes Objects That Rotate to Make Three Different Shadow Art Images