The Entire History of Mankind in One Infograph—from 1931
Slate’s history blog has uncovered this amazing, incredibly detailed “Histomap” that tells the entire story of human existence in one, colorful, massive info-graph. The 5-foot-long map was originally sold to schools and students for just $1 back when it was published by Rand McNally in 1931. As Slate points out, “The chart emphasizes domination, using color to show how the power of various ‘peoples’ (a quasi-racial understanding of the nature of human groups, quite popular at the time) evolved throughout history.” Despite some modern criticism of its categorization methodology, it’s still an impressive work of visual storytelling …
Recommended For You
- > Being a Christian Doesn’t Always Look Like You Think It Should
- > ISIS' New Enemy: A Terrifying Dutch Biker Gang
- > An Artist Is Inserting Mr. Bean into Famous Paintings For Some Reason
- > 15 Things to Start Doing By the Time You’re 30
- > Shia LaBeouf On Becoming a Christian: 'It's a Real Thing That Really Saved Me.'
- > Officer Darren Wilson May Soon Resign from Ferguson Police Department
- > Chris Traeger and Ann Perkins Are Returning to ‘Parks and Rec’
- > President Obama Announces Immigration Reform Plan
- > The One Campaign’s New Ebola PSA Features a Lot of Celebrities Saying Nothing
- > Well, What Do You Think About This Jesus Tattoo?