Jerry Seinfeld Sort of Predicted Facebook in 1992
Jerry Seinfeld has always been way ahead of his time, but this video from the “Bubble Boy” episode of Seinfeld that aired in 1992 proves it. If you replace the words “the machine” (or "phone machine") with “Facebook” in this stand-up intro to the episode, you can see how Seinfeld saw social media coming a decade before it was a reality. It’s well worth the 45 seconds.
Here’s what we have is two people, who hate each other—don’t really ever want to talk—but [Facebook] is like this relationship respirator keeping this marginal, brain-dead relationship alive. And, we all do it. Why? So when you come home, you can see that little, red [notification]. You go, "Alight! messages!" … It's very important for human beings to feel popular and well-liked amongst a large group of people we don't care for
Recommended For You
- > You Too Can Have Miley Cyrus Design Your Next Tattoo
- > Trailer: Tim Burton's 'Big Eyes'
- > Hero Drummer Adds a Little Pizzazz to Hillsong United's 'Oceans'
- > Jimmy Fallon Is Making Up Good News Again, Because Sometimes You Just Need to Feel Happy
- > Major Sponsor Pulls Out of the NFL’s Breast Cancer Awareness Month Campaign