Denzel Washington to College Grads: ‘Put God First in Everything You Do’
Hollywood superstar Denzel Washington was the commencement speaker at the graduation for Dillard University this weekend, and he gave the 218 students in attendance some pretty great advice: “Put God first in everything you do … Everything that I have is by the grace of God, understand that. It's a gift … I didn't always stick with Him, but He stuck with me.” He also told the graduates to not “be afraid to fail big” and reminded them that no matter “how much money you make, you can't take it with you.” He encouraged the students to live a life of prayerful gratitude:
While you're [on your knees], say thank you. Thank you for grace, thank you for mercy, thank you for understanding, thank you for wisdom, thank you for parents, thank you for love, thank you for kindness, thank you for humility, thank you for peace, thank you for prosperity. Say thank you in advance for what is already yours ... True desire in the heart for anything good is God's proof to you sent beforehand that it's already yours ... When you get it, reach back, pull someone else up.
Recommended For YouView More in Culture
- > The Presidential Debate Will Be Streaming Tonight for All Cord Cutters
- > This Trailer for ‘The 13th’ Will Make You Rethink What You Know About Mass Incarceration
- > Martin Scorsese’s Missionary Film ‘Silence’ Will Release in December
- > Even the Guy In Charge of DC Movies Doesn’t Like Them
- > Tim Tebow On Colin Kaepernick's Protests: It's About Doing It 'the Right Way'