Denzel Washington to College Grads: ‘Put God First in Everything You Do’
Hollywood superstar Denzel Washington was the commencement speaker at the graduation for Dillard University this weekend, and he gave the 218 students in attendance some pretty great advice: “Put God first in everything you do … Everything that I have is by the grace of God, understand that. It's a gift … I didn't always stick with Him, but He stuck with me.” He also told the graduates to not “be afraid to fail big” and reminded them that no matter “how much money you make, you can't take it with you.” He encouraged the students to live a life of prayerful gratitude:
While you're [on your knees], say thank you. Thank you for grace, thank you for mercy, thank you for understanding, thank you for wisdom, thank you for parents, thank you for love, thank you for kindness, thank you for humility, thank you for peace, thank you for prosperity. Say thank you in advance for what is already yours ... True desire in the heart for anything good is God's proof to you sent beforehand that it's already yours ... When you get it, reach back, pull someone else up.
Recommended For YouView More in Culture
- > 7 Unbiblical Statements Christians Believe
- > ‘To Worship You I Live’ Brought the House Down on ‘The Voice’ Last Night
- > Watch ‘Fixer Upper's Chip and Joanna Gaines' Powerful Testimony on ‘I Am Second’
- > World Series MVP Ben Zobrist: ‘We All Need Grace. We All Need Christ’
- > 12 Fiction Books That Will Shape Your Theology
- > New Research Has Shown Greenland's Ice Sheet Could Melt Faster Than Scientists Thought
- > Some Geniuses Created Water-Powered Speeder Bikes from 'Star Wars'
- > Wesley Snipes Is Writing a Novel About Spiritual Warfare
- > The ‘War for the Planet of the Apes’ Trailer Just Dropped
- > Watch Pharrell and Kim Burrell Perform the Gospel-Anthem ‘I See a Victory’ on ‘The Tonight Show’