China May Soon Reform Its One-Child Policy
According to Reuters, officials in China are debating loosening or reforming the nation’s one-child policy. The controversial law makes it illegal in most parts of the country for couples to have more than one child, leading to forced abortions, a skewed gender ratio in the population (because of a cultural preference for sons) and, some economists argue, a dwindling workforce. Though many analysts believe that China will soon move to institute a two-child policy, among top government advisors, there is still much division surrounding the law …
Recommended For YouView More in Current
- > Who’s Kermit the Frog’s New Girlfriend?
- > Spoon, Arcade Fire and Superchunk Talk Songwriting at SXSW
- > T-Pain’s Auto-Tune-Free National Anthem Was Incredible
- > Bill Maher and Rick Santorum Spar Over Pope’s Teaching on Climate Change
- > American Student Tells Jimmy Fallon How He Stopped a Terrorist Attack on a French Train