Chick-Fil-A Will Give You Free Ice Cream If You Put Your Phone Away While You Eat
We’ve all been there: Enjoying a meal with a friend or our families, and someone at the table has their head down, messing around on their phone. Well now, 150 Chick-Fil-A stores across the country are doing their part to restore in-person conversation and good ole fashioned eye contact to meal time. They’ve created a “phone coop” for diners to put their phones into while they eat, rewarding those who use it with a free “Icedream” dessert.
In a statement, they explained, “Americans now spend an average of 4.7 hours per day on their phone … Although our phones were meant to bring us closer together, they can sometimes have the opposite effect.”
The idea was dreamt up by a restaurant operator in Georgia named Brad Williams, who explained in a statement,
We really want our restaurant to provide a sense of community for our customers, where family and friends can come together and share quality time with one another. But as we all know, technology increasingly demands more of our time and can be a big distraction, even while we’re eating. This got me thinking about what we could do to reduce this distraction during meals.
Participating stores will give you the “Coop” to hold the phone while you eat, and then hand out ice creams to those who successfully complete the “Cell Phone Coop” challenge.
The challenge maybe harder than it sounds, especially for millennials. According to some research, 87% say their phone never leaves their side, and on average, and the marketing firm SDL, they check it 43 times a day. Now, how badly do you want that free ice cream?
Recommended For YouView More in Current
- God Doesn’t Want You to Stress About Your Life187
- Apple Music Will Be the Home to the ‘Carpool Karaoke' Series35
- State of Maryland Will Fight Against Adnan Syed, of 'Serial' Fame, Getting a New Trial 30
- All Charges Were Dropped Against the Anti-Abortion Activists Who Filmed Themselves at Planned Parenthood957
- > Apple Music Will Be the Home to the ‘Carpool Karaoke' Series
- > ISIS Just Killed 44 Residents of a Kurdish Town in Syria
- > State of Maryland Will Fight Against Adnan Syed, of 'Serial' Fame, Getting a New Trial
- > All Charges Were Dropped Against the Anti-Abortion Activists Who Filmed Themselves at Planned Parenthood
- > Watch Justin Timberlake, Steph Curry and Alfonso Ribeiro Do the Carlton