Are You Ready For Some Scandals?
Today will see public statements from two much-loved, highly-respected athletes. The first is a global superstar whose battle against cancer and subsequent unbelievable accomplishments made him a household name and a figurehead in the fight against mankind's greatest biological enemy. The other is a beloved young talent whose story is almost too bonkers to be believed. The full (?) Lance Armstrong saga will be released by Oprah later today. But Notre Dame's standout linebacker and Heisman runner-up Manti Te'o's tragic story of lost love—a young woman named Lennay Kekua who was ripped from this life by saddest fate and leukemia, inspiring Te'o to soldier on despite his heavy heart—was blown to pieces by a fascinating, convoluted bit of investigative journalism on Deadspin. Long story short, the girlfriend never existed. It's unclear how much Te'o knew and when he knew it. Was he duped by an online hoax or did he perpetuate his own tragic myth? However, it's clear that both he and Notre Dame were aware that something was fishy going into the Bowl Championship Series, and nobody corrected any of the news media running the story. It's unclear why a strapping young Heisman candidate would have to invent a fake girlfriend, if he did indeed conspire in the fake story. So, Armstrong or Te'o? The seasoned veteran or the promising rookie? Who's going to have a worse day? ...
Recommended For YouView More in Current
- > ‘Fixer Upper’ Couple: ‘Our Family Has Made a Commitment to Put Christ First’
- > What the Bible Says About How to Treat Refugees
- > Report: Justin Bieber Turned a Concert into a Church Service
- > Justin Bieber: I Just Wanna Honestly Live Like Jesus
- > The Definitive Ranking of Insanely Awesome Christian Album Covers
- > Study: 41% of Shoppers Feel Like They Need to Spend More Than They Can Afford at Christmas
- > Report: Saudi Arabia Will Behead at Least 50 People in One Day
- > Here’s a Trailer for Fox’s Live ‘Greece’ Adaptation
- > Police in Mali Arrest Two Linked to Attack on Hotel
- > ‘Will It Blend’ Gives Jar Jar Binks the Ending He Deserves