Another Westboro Baptist Defector Speaks Out
Yesterday, we posted this story about Megan Phelps-Roper, the granddaughter of Westboro Baptist founder Fred Phelps, who announced she was leaving the infamous church. Now another defector is speaking out. In an interview with The Today Show, Libby Phelps Alvarez, also a granddaughter of Fred Phelps, says that she believes she was brainwashed and now regrets taking part in protesting funerals. The group, based in Kansas, is known for picketing the funerals of fallen military heroes and even victims of mass shootings, as well as their hateful signs aimed at gays. Alvarez, who left the church four years ago, says a turning point for her came when her family picketed the funeral of a fallen soldier who also happened to be a close friend’s husband …
Recommended For YouView More in Current
- > The Real Abuse at the Heart of 'Fifty Shades of Grey'
- > Why Don’t the Guys in my Church Ask Women on Dates?
- > 'Christian Cleavage' Probably Isn't the Problem
- > Report: ISIS Just Kidnapped a Group of at Least 90 Christians, Including Children
- > Chris Pratt and Chris Evans Made Good on Their Super Bowl Bet
- > DOJ Investigation into Ferguson PD Finds Racism and Constitutional Violations
- > Netanyahu: Deal with Iran Could Lead to Nation Getting the Nuclear Weapons
- > Report: Hillary Clinton Only Used Personal Email While Secretary of State
- > NHL Player’s Daughter Writes Adorable Letter to Get Dad Traded Closer to Home
- > Watch Colbert Discuss the Bible, Faith and Hymns with Fr. James Martin