Another Westboro Baptist Defector Speaks Out
Yesterday, we posted this story about Megan Phelps-Roper, the granddaughter of Westboro Baptist founder Fred Phelps, who announced she was leaving the infamous church. Now another defector is speaking out. In an interview with The Today Show, Libby Phelps Alvarez, also a granddaughter of Fred Phelps, says that she believes she was brainwashed and now regrets taking part in protesting funerals. The group, based in Kansas, is known for picketing the funerals of fallen military heroes and even victims of mass shootings, as well as their hateful signs aimed at gays. Alvarez, who left the church four years ago, says a turning point for her came when her family picketed the funeral of a fallen soldier who also happened to be a close friend’s husband …
Recommended For You
- > Being a Christian Doesn’t Always Look Like You Think It Should
- > 15 Things to Start Doing By the Time You’re 30
- > Shia LaBeouf On Becoming a Christian: 'It's a Real Thing That Really Saved Me.'
- > When Risking it All for God Means Staying Where You Are
- > This WWI Christmas Ad Is the Best Commercial You’ll See Today
- > There Are No Words to Describe This ‘Star Wars’ LED Christmas Light Display
- > 54 Nigerian Soldiers Have Been Sentenced to Death for Not Fighting Boko Haram
- > Marcel the Shell's 'Landslide' Cover Will Calm Your Fears
- > Now Steve Carrell’s Upcoming North Korea Movie Has Been Canned
- > The Death Penalty Is in Dramatic Decline in the U.S.