Another Westboro Baptist Defector Speaks Out
Yesterday, we posted this story about Megan Phelps-Roper, the granddaughter of Westboro Baptist founder Fred Phelps, who announced she was leaving the infamous church. Now another defector is speaking out. In an interview with The Today Show, Libby Phelps Alvarez, also a granddaughter of Fred Phelps, says that she believes she was brainwashed and now regrets taking part in protesting funerals. The group, based in Kansas, is known for picketing the funerals of fallen military heroes and even victims of mass shootings, as well as their hateful signs aimed at gays. Alvarez, who left the church four years ago, says a turning point for her came when her family picketed the funeral of a fallen soldier who also happened to be a close friend’s husband …
Recommended For You
- > Being a Christian Doesn’t Always Look Like You Think It Should
- > ISIS' New Enemy: A Terrifying Dutch Biker Gang
- > An Artist Is Inserting Mr. Bean into Famous Paintings For Some Reason
- > 15 Things to Start Doing By the Time You’re 30
- > Shia LaBeouf On Becoming a Christian: 'It's a Real Thing That Really Saved Me.'
- > Officer Darren Wilson May Soon Resign from Ferguson Police Department
- > Chris Traeger and Ann Perkins Are Returning to ‘Parks and Rec’
- > President Obama Announces Immigration Reform Plan
- > The One Campaign’s New Ebola PSA Features a Lot of Celebrities Saying Nothing
- > Well, What Do You Think About This Jesus Tattoo?