Another Westboro Baptist Defector Speaks Out
Yesterday, we posted this story about Megan Phelps-Roper, the granddaughter of Westboro Baptist founder Fred Phelps, who announced she was leaving the infamous church. Now another defector is speaking out. In an interview with The Today Show, Libby Phelps Alvarez, also a granddaughter of Fred Phelps, says that she believes she was brainwashed and now regrets taking part in protesting funerals. The group, based in Kansas, is known for picketing the funerals of fallen military heroes and even victims of mass shootings, as well as their hateful signs aimed at gays. Alvarez, who left the church four years ago, says a turning point for her came when her family picketed the funeral of a fallen soldier who also happened to be a close friend’s husband …
Recommended For You
- > The People Behind 'God's Not Dead' Are Giving 'Fifty Shades' Some Christian Competition
- > No, Michele Bachmann Did Not Suggest Labor Camps for Immigrant Children
- > Trailer: 'The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies'
- > Watch a Couple Thieves Try to Mug the Wrong Convenience Store Clerk
- > 'Avengers 2' Poster Revealed at Comic-Con