Amy Poehler and Tina Fey Are the Real Winners at the Golden Globes
Oh, Golden Globes. Always the bridesmaid, never the Oscars. Generally, the Golden Globes feel like they're trying a little too hard to match the Oscars in its self-important, over-inflated sense of artistic congratulations, but this year's broadcast had two big, big advantages over the Oscars this year, and those advantages carried the broadcast. Tina Fey and Amy Poehler are about as charming and funny as Hollywood will allow people to be these days. Their jokes landed famously, and a few people are calling last night's Golden Globe's the best awards show in history. There were a lot of winners at the ceremony (Argo, Quentin Tarantino and Jennifer Lawrence among them), but nobody won more than Fey and Poehler. The runners-up were definitely Will Ferrell and Kristen Wiig, whose gut-busting presentation bit was the rare award ceremony skit where the laughs live up to the talent (unless you ask Tommy Lee Jones). Also, Jodi Foster delivered a long, heartfelt, somewhat rambling speech about her struggles maintaining a sense of privacy in Hollywood that had the Internet rumbling. All in all, one of the livelier awards ceremonies in recent years. Your move, Seth MacFarlane ...
Recommended For YouView More in Culture
- > A '20/20' Special Will Look at an American Hostage Captured By ISIS for Her Christian Faith
- > 28 More Companies Sign White House Pledge to Close Gender Wage Gap
- > An Artist Left a Gown in the Dead Sea and It Came Out Even More Beautiful
- > Worldwide Outrage Causes France to Overturn Burkini Ban
- > 2 Mississippi Nuns Found Dead in Their Home, Community Reacts