Amazon Buys GoodReads; One Step Closer to Owning All of the World’s Words
In its next step toward owning the entire publishing industry, Amazon is in the process of purchasing the book-sharing social site GoodReads. As The New York Times points out, many fans of the site aren’t too excited about the acquisition. Whereas GoodReads has a reputation for being a reliable place to find new books based on peer reviews and recommendations, Amazon has had to crack down on authors posting bogus reviews of their own works. Amazon also currently has ownership stake in two of GoodReads main competitors, Shelfari and LibraryThing—meaning the online retailer now essentially has a monopoly on social book reviews …
Recommended For YouView More in Culture
- > Among Workers, Millennials Are the Most Depressed
- > Big-Name Sponsors Pressure Qatar About World Cup Labor Abuses
- > Viral Iraq Blog Post Triggers Outpouring of Support
- > Watch the Greatest Banjo Cover of ‘The Final Countdown’ You’ll Ever Hear
- > Why Were Domestic Violence Charges Against Ray Rice Just Dropped?