Amazon Buys GoodReads; One Step Closer to Owning All of the World’s Words
In its next step toward owning the entire publishing industry, Amazon is in the process of purchasing the book-sharing social site GoodReads. As The New York Times points out, many fans of the site aren’t too excited about the acquisition. Whereas GoodReads has a reputation for being a reliable place to find new books based on peer reviews and recommendations, Amazon has had to crack down on authors posting bogus reviews of their own works. Amazon also currently has ownership stake in two of GoodReads main competitors, Shelfari and LibraryThing—meaning the online retailer now essentially has a monopoly on social book reviews …
Recommended For YouView More in Culture
- > San Francisco Deputies Forced Inmates to Fight 'Gladiator Style'
- > Here's Passion Pit's Very Strobe Light-y Video for 'Lifted Up'
- > Everything We Know About Germanwings Pilot, Andreas Lubitz
- > Man Hikes from Mexican Border to Canada Taking Selfies Every Mile
- > Here's the Trailer for 'Southpaw,' Starring a Super Jacked Jake Gyllenhaal