Algerian Military Has Allegedly Killed 34 Hostages
Algerian militants are claiming that a botched military strike took out 34 of their hostages on Thursday. The day before, the kidnappers took some hundred Algerians and about 41 foreigners—including Norwegian, Japanese, British and American citizens—hostage at a natural gas plant as part of their protest against France's actions against Mali. There's a lot of confusion about just what's going on with the hostages, with some outlets reporting that a number of hostages have escaped, and Reuters saying that only six hostages have been killed. A diplomat in the area has confirmed that there have been casualties among both the militants and the hostages but was unable to say just how many had been killed. Led by Mokhtar Belmokhtar, a seasoned solider, the "Masked Brigade" is demanding safe passage for them and their prisoners outside of the natural gas plant (pictured) where they've holed up ...
Recommended For You
- > National Treasures Tina Fey and Amy Poehler Are Hosting the Golden Globes Again
- > Colleges Distance Themselves from Bill Cosby
- > Patagonia Is Giving Away Clothes to Keep You from Shopping on Black Friday
- > There Will Be a Second Season of ‘Serial’
- > Ferguson Bakery Owner Raises $250K Online after Store Is Damaged in Riots