2014 Will Be the Year of Bible Movies
Here’s an interesting look at ‘Biblical films' Hollywood comeback.’ In the piece, entertainment reporter Nick Allen looks at how the success of the Bible miniseries has sparked a revival of Biblical movies like Hollywood hasn’t seen since the days of The Ten Commandments and Ben Hur. As the article points out, the films are especially appealing to studios because along with having built-in mega-church audiences, unlike franchises like Harry Potter and Twilight, adapting the Bible doesn’t require any licensing fees. In addition to Darren Aronofsky’s upcoming Noah epic starring Russell Crowe, two Moses movies (The Exodus starring Christian Bale and Gods and Kings to be directed by Ang Lee), Mary Mother of Christ, a Cain and Able film starring Will Smith, the miniseries-adapted Son of God, a Pontius Pilate epic starring Brad Pitt and even a Ben Hur remake are all in various stages of development. As Allen notes, “studio executives have taken something of a leap of faith that films in which religious figures save the world will bring big box office receipts” …
Recommended For YouView More in Culture
- > San Francisco Deputies Forced Inmates to Fight 'Gladiator Style'
- > Here's Passion Pit's Very Strobe Light-y Video for 'Lifted Up'
- > Everything We Know About Germanwings Pilot, Andreas Lubitz
- > Man Hikes from Mexican Border to Canada Taking Selfies Every Mile
- > Here's the Trailer for 'Southpaw,' Starring a Super Jacked Jake Gyllenhaal