10,000 Christians Have Fled Northern Iraq Since the ISIS Takeover
The UN Refugee Agency (UNHCR) is estimating that as many as 10,000 Christians have been forced to flee their homes in northern Iraq since ISIS' takeover of the region. Many of them are taking up refuge in schools, most of which have no air conditioning or showers. The UNHCR is partnering with local charities to provide food, water and hygiene kits, but in a region where temperatures often soar over 104 degrees F, resources are stretched thin. Many of the refugees are in dire need of medical attention.
These refugees join the some 1.2 million who have fled Iraq due to escalating violence. The UNHCR estimates that the cost of caring for them will be about $64.2 million. So far, they have raised about eight percent. You can help by donating here ...
Recommended For You
- > Colin Farrell (and Taylor Kitsch?) Will Star in Season 2 of ‘True Detective’
- > Rumor: Joseph Gordon-Levitt to Play Edward Snowden in Oliver Stone Movie
- > Watch the Most Inspiring Postgame Interview Ever Recorded
- > More than 300K People Marched on New York to Bring Awareness to Climate Change
- > You Too Can Have Miley Cyrus Design Your Next Tattoo