‘Egypt’s Jon Stewart’ Arrested on Charges of Insulting Islam and President
The satirist who is known as ‘Egypt’s Jon Stewart’ was arrested this weekend on charges of insulting the country’s president and the religion of Islam. Bassem Youssef is the host of a Daily Show-like weekly political and cultural program in which he points out the hypocrisy of the nation’s political leaders (in all parties) and criticizes fundamental Islam.
The show, which is watched by more than 30 million Egyptians, warns that some Muslim clerics and Islamic TV presenters want to turn the religion into a "weapon and political tool." Youssef was released after posting bail, and even used the proceedings to further jab president Mohamed Morsi. He wore a comically oversized graduation hat when he turned himself in, one similar to what Morsi wore to a recent ceremony in Pakistan …
Recommended For You
- > Congratulations on Your Number One Album, Lecrae.
- > Satanists Handing Out Satanic Children's Books or Something.
- > Krispy Kreme Is Celebrating Ghostbusters’ 30th Anniversary with Custom Donuts
- > Speaking in Tongues Is on the Rise Among Americans
- > Bryan Cranston’s Faux One Man MLB Show Will Make You Love Baseball