Violent Protests at U.S. Embassies Spread to the Middle East
Questions continue to cloud Tuesday's attack at the U.S. Consulate in Libya, where four Americans including ambassador Chris Stevens were killed. The motives of the attack by allegedly a pro-al Qaeda military group are unclear, but some are pinning the attacks as a violent reaction to an obscure American-made film demeaning the prophet Mohammed. President Barack Obama said in a public statement that the U.S. "will not waver in our commitment to see that justice is done for this terrible act – and make no mistake, justice will be done." Meanwhile, violent protests have spread outside the U.S. embassies in Egypt and Yemen.
From the article:
“Jihadists will want the world to believe that the attack is just a part of the protests against an amateur film produced in the U.S., which includes crude insults regarding the Prophet Mohammed. They will want the world to think that their actions represent a popular Libyan and wider Muslim reaction; thus, reversing the perception of jihadists being outcasts from their own societies,”Quilliam president Norman Benotman said.
The significance of the timing of the attack, which fell on the 11th anniversary of the September 11 attacks on New York and Washington, is unclear.
Recommended For YouView More in Reject Apathy
- > 7 Unbiblical Statements Christians Believe
- > Watch ‘Fixer Upper's Chip and Joanna Gaines' Powerful Testimony on ‘I Am Second’
- > 12 Fiction Books That Will Shape Your Theology
- > Hillsong NYC’s Carl Lentz: At This Church, We Are Not Saying 'All Lives Matter'
- > Watch Justin Bieber Play ‘I Could Sing of Your Love Forever’ on the Purpose Tour
- > A Previously Unfinished Love Story by JRR Tolkien Will Be Published Next Year
- > Lecrae on Racial Injustice: 'As I Shared My Heart, My Supporters Turned on Me'
- > Bob Dylan May Soon Release a ‘Bootleg’ Album of Christian Music
- > And Now, Here's James Corden Re-enacting Famous Tom Cruise Movie Scenes
- > Iraqi Officials: Retaking Mosul From ISIS Is Moving Fast