How to Live Green in the City
By Reject Apathy
December 6, 2011
When you think of creation care, images of oceans, mountains, rainforests or perhaps an eco-friendly suburb may come to mind; what you probably don’t immediately picture are skyscrapers and bustling streets. But the majority of the world’s population is shifting into the city, and it’s ultimately in these communities where effective creation care must be practiced and realized. Already, there are 3.2 billion city-dwellers globally, four times the urban population in 1950. By 2050, more than 70 percent of the world’s population is projected to live in cities. This seemingly inevitable urban migration demands a more concentrated and intentional effort to live mindfully of God’s creation and humans’ impact on it. Here are a few innovative ways in which city-dwellers are already taking practical steps to care for creation:
Buying groceries through farmers markets and CSAs may get pricy, but every dollar spent on local and eco-friendly foods is worth $1.34 to the local economy.
Plant an Urban Garden
Container, community and rooftop gardens are bringing a bit of green to cities. Some neighborhoods have even begun growing vertically with wall gardens.
Bicycle commuting jumped 151 percent just between 2000 and 2009, and only continues to rise in popularity.
Have a Car-Free Weekend
Many drives in major cities close to motorized vehicles on weekends, and are designated only for walking, cycling and running.
From turning unused train tracks into trails to converting now-discontinued Hummers into micro-homes, urban residents can’t help but creatively recycle their constricted space.
Recommended For YouView More in Reject Apathy
- Pope: It’s Better to Not Even Believe in God Than to Be a Hypocritical Christian1,143
- It's Time for the 'Sports Illustrated' Swimsuit Issue to Stop402
- Netflix Just Announced Tracy Morgan's First Comedy Special Since His Huge Car Wreck48
- Kansas Man Allegedly Yelled ‘Get Out of My Country’ Before Shooting 2 Indian Men, Killing 1751
- > People Claim to Have Seen a Mysterious Movie That Never Existed
- > Netflix Is Now Allowing '13th' to Be Screened in Public Even Without a Subscription
- > Watch Chance the Rapper’s Worshipful Grammy Performance
- > I’m Single. Stop Pitying Me on Valentine’s Day
- > Royal Caribbean Wants to Hire Someone to Go on Cruises and Post to Instagram
- > Pope: It’s Better to Not Even Believe in God Than to Be a Hypocritical Christian
- > Netflix Just Announced Tracy Morgan's First Comedy Special Since His Huge Car Wreck
- > Kansas Man Allegedly Yelled ‘Get Out of My Country’ Before Shooting 2 Indian Men, Killing 1
- > Migrants Around the World Are Meeting Closed Doors
- > Dan Harmon Will Appear on the Season Finale of Ken Jeong’s ‘Dr. Ken’