Celeb Charity Gets Social
By Reject Apathy
May 10, 2011
As technology evolves, so does the way we support charity. Here are some of the ways social networking is connecting people, organizations and even celebrities.
Australian musician Brooke Fraser celebrated her 27th birthday generously: asking friends, family and fans to donate to the work of char- ity: water. The campaign met and exceeded her goal of $50,000. “It’s a basic need, it’s a human right, and it’s the greatest gift I can think of to give, or to receive, for my birthday this year,” Fraser said.
GREEN RIVER ORDINANCE
Green River Ordinance didn’t want to support a good cause—they wanted to support five. So each member of the folk- rock band selected their favorite charity and set up TheHopeGROs.com, a site that gives proceeds from select song sales to the various organizations they support.
Founded by Edward Norton and a few friends, Crowdrise allows people to start personal fundraising projects online or donate to existing campaigns while “having the most fun in the world.” Recently, everyone from Barbra Streisand to Jonah Hill joined their Crowdrise Holiday Fundraiser Thing (yes, that’s what it was called), using their profiles to creatively promote causes.
Named Mashable’s Most Creative Social Good Campaign for 2010, TwitChange is a platform where celebrities like Eva Longoria auction off social networking interactions to raise money for a particular nonprofit. Started after the Haiti earthquake, now they raise money for a different campaign every month.
Recommended For YouView More in Reject Apathy
- > People Claim to Have Seen a Mysterious Movie That Never Existed
- > ‘To Worship You I Live’ Brought the House Down on ‘The Voice’ Last Night
- > Philadelphia Eagles Player Has Baptized 5 of His Teammates
- > 11 Resolutions Everyone Should Consider Making Next Year
- > Oh No. Beard Christmas Lights Are Now a Thing
- > The Obamas Donated Their Old Swing Set and Then Surprised the Kids Who Got It
- > Noor Salman, Wife of Pulse Massacre Shooter, Is Arrested and Charged; Faces Life Sentence
- > Researchers Have Found a Way to Create Phones With Built-In Fire Extinguishers
- > Women's March Removes Pro-Life Group As Partner
- > Belle Is a Better Disney Princess Than Cinderella, According to Emma Watson